“Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matt. 11:29-30
I believe the Word of God. I believe it is all true. But I must confess that over the last few days I’ve questioned the above scripture. Maybe God has been testing my limits and if that’s the case, I’ve flunked the course.
If you read the previous blog I posted, you will remember that April has been a challenging month for my family. Please allow me to summarize:
1. On April 5, my daughter, Kim, had carpel tunnel surgery on her left hand. She is left handed so this was not only painful, but also very inconvenient for her.
2. On April 13, my sister had a total knee replacement surgery. On that same day, I had an attack of vertigo that was severe enough to keep me home, unable to do much of anything, for ten days.
3. On Monday, April 19, around 5:00 PM, my dad called and needed someone to take him to the ER. Because I was still having vertigo, my daughter drove him and my mom to the ER. Almost 10 hours later, in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, they were back home.
4. I made it back to work on Wednesday, April 21, but at 5:30 Thursday morning, my phone rang and it was my mom. My dad was in so much back pain that I could hear him yelling over the phone. I threw on some clothes, made it to their house in record time and called the paramedics. This time, he was admitted to the hospital (as he should have been on
Monday) and has been hospitalized ever since. (The doctor just came in and daddy is going home today!)
5. On April 26, Kim had carpel tunnel surgery on her right hand and I was not able to be with her because I was at the hospital with my mom and dad. (FYI: My mom will not let my dad be “by himself” at the hospital anymore than she has to. I’ve been staying with her at night and we leave every morning by 7:15 headed for the hospital and we don’t leave to go back home until around 6:30 – 7:00 at night.)
6. On Friday, April 30, I dropped my mom off at the hospital, went grocery shopping for my parents, went by their house, put the groceries up and was returning to the hospital when I was in a car wreck. It was my fault – I did not see a car coming and pulled out in front of the car. I was driving my dad’s car and her car broadsided me. Neither the other driver or myself were seriously injured – bruised and banged up and still sore. My dad’s car is a mess. The driver’s door and passenger door were completely pushed in. I’ve not heard from the insurance company, so we don’t know what will happen in that regard. My sweet husband said that “maybe this is a good time to ‘take the car away.’” After all, my dad will be 86 in August.
So what’s going on here? Has the month of April been a test from God? Or an attack of the enemy? I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions because if this is a test from God, I need to repent for flunking. And if this is an attack of the enemy, I need to tighten up the armor. Or maybe I’ll just do both!